The Royal Clarence Victualling Yard was begun in 1827, although there was already a brewery and cooperage on the site.
Ships due to set sail would come to the yard to be loaded with provisions including preserved foodstuffs such as: ship's biscuits, salted beef, salted pork, peas, oatmeal, butter, cheese and beer, all of which were produced in the yard.
The Pump House
Most of these items were transported and stored in casks made in the on-site cooperage.
Both this and the Royal William Victualling Yard in Plymouth which was begun around the same time, were named after the Duke of Clarence, the future William IV, who had taken an active interest in their development.
The yard was badly damaged by bombing during the Second World War, and was partially demolished. It finally closed in 1992.
The central Granary, its North Wing, the Slaughterhouse, Engine House, Cattle Yard, and Cooperage Green all survive from the original buildings, along with Ceremonial Gateway and its flanking buildings.
The southern wing of the Granary and buildings surrounding it are all modern replacements in a style that compliments the older buildings.