St Mary's Church
Once the church of a Cistercian Monastery, these days St Maryʼs Church, Scarborough, is a shadow of its former self.
The whole of the east end was demolished by Parliamentarian soldiers in 1648, to make it easier to fire their cannons at Scarborough Castle on the hill above the church.
The original tower fell a few years later, and the north transept became ruinous.
The tower was replaced, along with a new north aisle, in 1669, but the ruins of the old east end can still be seen in the churchyard, and give some idea of what a large church this once was.
Donʼt miss the grave of Anne Brontë in the graveyard annex on the far side of Church Lane.