Skip to content

Location

Surrey Map
View in Google Earth

This is a pleasant short there and back walk beside the River Wey to St Catherine's Chapel.

The river here forms part of the Godalming Navigation and our route takes us along the old towpath.

The navigation consist in part of man-made canal cuts but is mainly adapted parts of the River Wey. It was completed in 1764, and still carried commercial traffic as late as 1983.

It was donated to the National Trust in 1968.

At its northern end it connected with the earlier Wey Navigation and at the south with the short-lived Wey & Arun Navigation giving access to the south coast.

External Links and References

St Catherine's Chapel

Location

Surrey Map

Like it's namesake in Abbotsbury, Dorset, St Catherineʼs Chapel, Artington is perched on the top of a hill.

It was built in the early 14th century by one Richard de Wauncey as a chapel-of-ease to the Parish Church of St Nicholas.

It is thought by some that it may have been used by pilgrims heading to Canterbury as the route of the modern Pilgrim's Way long-distance footpath passes down Ferry Lane to the north.

To add a comment on this place or contents of this section, click here.

Ferry Lane Grotto

Location

Surrey Map

Ferry Lane, as the name suggests, leads down to the site of an old ferry crossing.

This operated until the 1900s when it was replaced with a pedestrian bridge (St Catherine’s Bridge) that is used by both the Pilgrims’ Way and the North Downs Way.

At the bottom of the lane is Victorian grotto built around a natural spring. Rumoured to have healing properties (of course), these days it is apparently popular with home brewers.

External Links and References

To add a comment on this place or contents of this section, click here.