A Cottage in The Londs
Little happened from then until 1883 when the Daily Telegraph sent Clement Scott, its literary and drama critic to Cromer to investigate the new resort. As he could not find anywhere to stay, he walked along the cliffs to what was then the tiny fishing village of Overstrand. He found lodging with with the local miller, and immediately fell in love with the area (not to mention the millerʼs daughter).
He christened the area "Poppyland", and wrote extensively about it. As a result many rich and famous people visited Overstrand, some of whom chose to build summer residences.
Chief among these was Cyril Flowers Liberal MP (later to become Lord Battersea and Overstrand) who built The Pleasaunce, along with Lord and Lady Hillingdon (Overstrand Hall), Sir George Lewis (The Danish Pavilion), Lord Wolverhampton (Carrwood House), Sir Edgar Speyer (Sea Marge), Sir Frederick MacMillan (Meadow Cottage) and many others. At one time there were six millionaires in the village.
All these properties still stand, with the exception of the Danish Pavilion, which burnt down in 1953. Only the Sea Marge is easily accessible to the general public as it is now a hotel which does a fine line in Bar Meals.
The 'End' of the High Street
Modern-day Overstrand is a quiet place, the beach, the cliff-top cafe, and the fine walk into Cromer being the only things to attract the visitor.
There is some crab fishing. The boats are stored on the cliff-top in front of the cafe.
The cliffs at the east end of the village are particularly subject to erosion, and the High Street now comes to and abrupt halt where the grand Overstrand Hotel once stood.