Canterbury is not known for its Castle. Hardly surprising, given the badly dilapidated state of the remains.
One of three Royal Castles in Kent, along with Rochester and Dover, it protected the route between London and Channel. Originally begun in around 1100AD, soon after the Norman Invasion, the castle boasted the fifth largest keep in England, with walls 2.5m (8ft) thick.
The castle fell into ruins, and most of it was demolished in 1826 when the area became a gas and water works. The keep was used as a coal store and acted as the base to a large water tank.
It was bought by the city council in 1928, the keep was restored, and it is now open to the public all year round. For opening times contact the Canterbury Visitor Centre on +44 (1227) 378100