At one time open for one weekend a year, Boveridge Park was once home to Boveridge House College (formerly the Philip Green Memorial School) for students with learning and communication difficulties.
The house was designed by William Evans for Henry Brounker in the early 19th century on land purchased from the Earl of Salisbury. It was extended in 1887 and again in 1920.
It passed through many hands before being sold back to the Marquess of Salisbury in 1971, and then leased to the school.
The gardens were created in 1919-21 for the then owner Charles W Gordon by landscape architect Thomas Hayton Mawson with planting by the famous horticulturist Gertrude Jekyll.
During the time of the schoolʼs founding head teacher, Miss Peggy Harper, the gardens slowly deteriorated, until in 2000, three years after she retired, parts of the garden were declared unsafe.
The school then worked to restore the gardens to their former glory, with the help of the garden designer Chris Beardshaw.
The three ponds were cleared, and Gertrude Jekyllʼs long herbaceous border was replanted, along with her circular planting around the statue of Mercury and the phlox garden around the sundial.
The school closed in 2014, and the property was placed on the market in February 2015.